inspire. engage. invest.
Playwrights Horizons holds a unique place in the landscape of New York City theaters. It is the only major New York Off-Broadway theater that produces new plays and musicals exclusively by American writers. We believe that writers are the future of the theater and that there is a great importance in nurturing, in particular, American voices. We’ve helped to launch the careers of hundreds of writers, served thousands of theater artists and audiences, made a significant contribution to the American theater repertory, and established a nationwide reputation as a leading advocate for new plays and musicals. Our five Pulitzer prizes attest to our impressive track record, but it is the ongoing discovery of new voices and working with our writers at all stages of development that is the heart and soul of what we do.
Playwrights Horizons is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Subscription revenue, ticket sales and other, smaller sources of earned revenue (e.g. space rental) cover approximately 60% of our operating expenses. The remaining 40% is raised through charitable donations from our loyal donors and ambassadors.
We are proud to note that Playwrights Horizons keeps management and fundraising costs low: 82% of annual expenses underwrite program costs, while 18% support management, overhead and fundraising costs.
A gift to Playwrights Horizons ensures that the playwrights and plays you love will be supported and produced and available to the widest possible audience. Join our family of supporters!
To give away money is an easy matter and in everyone's power. But to decide to whom to give it, and how large and when, and for what purpose and how, is neither in everyone's power nor an easy matter.—Aristotle
Each year, your support helps Playwrights Horizons:
- Produce six new plays and musicals annually in our Mainstage and Peter Jay Sharp Theaters, every one of which is a World, American or New York premiere.
- Host up to 25 developmental play readings and workshops, which help writers to develop their work for the stage.
- Award three to five commissions annually to support writers and composers during the writing process.
- Read and personally respond to 1,000 unsolicited play and musical submissions from aspiring playwrights around the country.
- Provide Ticket Subsidy programs for students and underserved audiences.
- Train and mentor 10-12 aspiring theater professionals through the year-long Theatrical Residency Program.
- Educate nearly 200 undergraduates students in our Playwrights Horizons’ Theater School in association with New York University's Tisch School of the Arts.
- Operate Ticket Central, a professional, low-cost box office that services the New York City not-for-profit performing arts community, selling tickets to more than 100 shows annually.
There are many ways to donate whether you are an individual interested in our Patron Program, are interested in attending one of our exciting special events benefits, or you represent a corporation or a foundation.
For more information or questions about Playwrights Horizons’ giving programs, please contact Director of Development Beth Nathanson at (212) 564-1235 x3140 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for making Playwrights Horizons a part of your life with your participation, your generosity, and your investment in our unique and important mission. We hope that you will make a tax-deductible contribution today. If you are a current donor, please consider increasing your support this year and getting even more involved in our programs and activities.
Photo of Lisa D'Amour by Zack Smith