Perspectives On Playwriting
This May, we invite you to join us for Perspectives on Playwriting. In the interest of deepening our audience’s engagement with new plays, we’d like to offer access to the wide-ranging ideas and techniques that go into the creative work of playwriting. The program, now in its second year, promises an enriching experience for anyone who wants to learn more about theatrical storytelling. We’re thrilled to connect venturesome theater lovers — maybe you? — with some of our favorite theater makers.
I was surprised at how diversely the playwrights approached the writing of a play… Now I think that there must be as many motivations and approaches as playwrights.—Chris L., 2016 Core Workshop Student
Whether you’re a budding playwright or a curious theatergoer, you can participate in Perspectives on Playwriting in a number of ways — no previous writing experience required.
Individual Master Classes will offer audiences the chance to hear from some of the most dynamic playwrights working in the American theater today: Sarah Ruhl (Stage Kiss, Dead Man’s Cell Phone), The Debate Society (The Light Years, Jacuzzi), and Lisa D’Amour (Detroit, Airline Highway).
For those seeking a more immersive experience, the intimate Core Workshop will offer a smaller group close-up access to and conversation with a diverse roster of playwrights in a series of ten weekly sessions. Teachers will include Adam Bock (A Life, A Small Fire), Jorge Ignacio Cortiñas (Recent Alien Abductions, Blind Mouth Singing), Kirk Lynn (Your Mother's Copy of the Kama Sutra, Rude Mechs), Robert O’Hara (Bootcandy, Barbecue), Anne Washburn (Antlia Pneumatica, Mr. Burns), and more.
Monday, June 5: Sarah Ruhl
Monday, June 19: The Debate Society
Monday, July 17: Lisa D’Amour
Each master class will run approximately 90 minutes. Attend an individual Master Class for $25, or all three with the Master Class bundle package for $75.
10-Week Core Workshop
Classes begin Monday, May 15 and will run through the summer. All meetings will take place at Playwrights Horizons on Monday evenings from 6–9 PM.
May 15 and 22
June 5*, 12, 19* and 26
July 10, 17*, 24 and 31
*Indicates a Master Class. Participation in the Core Workshop includes access to all three Master Classes, plus an exclusive breakout conversation with master class teachers immediately following their formal sessions.
Season Package Holders: $400
Age 35 or under: $300
Tuition will not be charged until enrollment status is confirmed, at which time you will be contacted for payment.
HOW TO APPLY
- This experience was designed to be intimate — enrollment will be limited to 15 students. If you’d like to be considered for the Core Workshop, please complete a brief online application by March 15. We will respond to all applicants about the status of their application by April 1.
- The Core Workshop was conceived to provide a unique opportunity for our audiences to deepen their relationship to new work. No prior writing experience is required, but students should be prepared to participate in some in-class writing exercises. (Please note that this is not a training program for experienced playwrights.)
- If you purchase Master Class tickets now and are selected for the Core Workshop, we will apply the cost of those tickets toward your tuition.
- Because space is very limited, we ask that you consider your schedule before applying for the class. We hope to enroll a small group of students who are able to commit to the full 10-week experience.
- Please note that registration is non-transferable.