Perspectives On Playwriting
We're thrilled to invite you to join us this May for Perspectives On Playwriting. In the interest of deepening our audience's engagement with new plays, we want to connect you — our most venturesome theater lovers — with some of our favorite theater makers.
Whether you’re a budding playwright or a curious theatergoer, you can participate in Perspectives On Playwriting in a number of ways — no previous writing experience required.
- Master Classes offer individual sessions with some of the most dynamic artists working in the American theater today: Anne Washburn, The Mad Ones, and Robert O’Hara in conversation with Tony Award-winning scenic and costume designer Clint Ramos.
- The 10-session Core Workshop offers a more immersive experience, granting close-up access to Master Class playwrights, plus classes with Kirsten Childs, Madeleine George, A. Rey Pamatmat, Max Posner, Heather Raffo, and more.
Monday, June 4: Anne Washburn
Monday, June 18: The Mad Ones
Monday, July 16: Robert O’Hara in conversation with Clint Ramos
Each master class will run approximately 90 minutes. Attend an individual Master Class for $25, or all three with the Master Class bundle package for $75.
10-Week Core Workshop
Classes begin Monday, May 14 and will run through the summer. All meetings will take place at Playwrights Horizons on Monday evenings from 6–9 PM.
May 14 and 21
June 4*, 11, 18* and 25
July 9, 16*, 23 and 30
*Indicates a Master Class. Participation in the Core Workshop includes all three Master Classes, plus an exclusive breakout conversation with master class teachers following their formal sessions.
Season Package Holders: $450
Young Members (ages 35 and under): $350
Tuition will not be charged until enrollment status is confirmed, at which time you will be contacted for payment.
HOW TO APPLY
- This experience was designed to be intimate — enrollment will be limited to 15 students. If you’d like to be considered for the Core Workshop, please complete a brief online application by March 1. We will respond to all applicants about the status of their application by April 1.
- The Core Workshop was conceived to provide a unique opportunity for our audiences to deepen their relationship to new work. No prior writing experience is required, but students should be prepared to participate in some in-class writing exercises. (Please note that this is not a training program for experienced playwrights.)
- If you purchase Master Class tickets now and are selected for the Core Workshop, we will apply the cost of those tickets toward your tuition.
- Because space is very limited, we ask that you consider your schedule before applying for the class. We hope to enroll a small group of students who are able to commit to the full 10-week experience.
- Please note that registration is non-transferable.