Technical Director - Playwrights Downtown
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR – PLAYWRIGHTS DOWNTOWN
Playwrights Downtown includes Playwrights Horizons Theater School that operates in conjunction with NYU Tisch School of the Arts, and a space rental business. The Theater School trains nearly 200 undergraduate students each year in a four-year interdisciplinary program, and when not in use by the Theater School, the Rehearsal Studios rents rehearsal rooms and theater space to a broad cross-section of the not-for-profit arts community.
Administrative Director, Playwrights Downtown
About the Position
The Technical Director will have a broad understanding of all aspects of technical theater including basic carpentry, lighting, sound, and projections, an ability to troubleshoot and maintain theatrical equipment, and a desire to work with undergraduate students in a mentoring capacity.
- Serve as technical adviser for student productions
- Orient students in safety standards and the proper use of tools and equipment
- Participate in production planning to determine necessary technical supports for all projects
- Participate in load in, technical rehearsals, and strike as needed
- Maintain theatrical equipment and purchase supplies
- Create and maintain technical documentation and inventories
- Serve as liaison with NYU’s production department
- Hire and supervise part time staff
- In concert with Producing Manger, manage physical production budgets
- Manage the maintenance and repair of the facility
- Serve as technical liaison with theater rental clients
- Minimum 3-5 years of practical experience working in technical theater
- Ability to read and produce technical drawings in VectorWorks
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, climb ladders, and perform manual labor as needed
- High professional standards with acute attention to details
- Night and weekend hours required
Salary and Benefits
Paid time off; medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending plan; and 403b with employer match after one year of service. This is an exempt positon.
Please e-mail resume, cover letter and references to jobs@PHnyc.org with Technical Director- PHDT in the subject line.
At Playwrights Horizons, we believe that a broad spectrum of voices enriches the quality and vitality of our work. Playwrights Horizons is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity in its staffing, and to equitable and inclusive practices. The organization is interested in receiving applications from people of all races, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, classes, religions, and ability. All Playwrights Horizons facilities are fully accessible and ADA compliant.