Playwrights Horizons is seeking a full-time Technical Director. The ideal candidate is skilled in all types of scenic construction (including strong working knowledge of automation), knows AutoCAD or Vectorworks, can manage load in and show crews, and can run a scene shop. Key duties include maintaining scenic production calendar, preparing bid packages for scene shops, preparing build drawings for in-house scenic construction, hiring carpenters for show run crew, load-ins and shop work, evaluating costs and feasibility of designs, designing scenic automation systems, and maintaining inventory of scenic tools and production supplies. Useful skills would include: 5+ years of technical direction experience in performing arts, preferably in New York City. Must have strong crew management skills and ability to work within a budget. This is a full year-round position with benefits.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain scenic production calendar
- Prepare bid packages for scene shops
- Prepare build drawings for in-house scenic construction
- Hire carpenters for show run crew, load-ins and shop work
- Evaluate costs and feasibility of designs
- Design scenic automation systems
- Maintain inventory of scenic tools and production supplies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Theater with an emphasis in Technical Theater or Design preferred
- Minimum five years of technical direction experience in performing arts, preferably in New York City
- Strong crew management skills
- Proven ability to work within a budget
- Experience with AutoCAD or Vectorworks
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 403 (b) with employer match after one year of service
- Generous paid time off
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
Playwrights Horizons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principle of diversity, and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people.
To apply submit resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com with “Technical Director” in the subject line.