How to Register to Vote
Register Online. This is available for 31 States plus the District of Columbia.
Mail registration. Download the National Mail Voter Registration Form. You can fill it out onscreen and print the completed form, or print the blank form and fill it out by hand. Remember to sign the form before mailing it to the location listed for your state.
Register in person. You may be able to register to vote at public facilities. Check with your state or territory election office before heading to any of these locations:
• The department of motor vehicles
• Armed services recruitment centers
• State and county public assistance offices (SNAP/food stamps, WIC, services for the disabled), where you may fill out and submit a National Mail Voter Registration Form.
Absentee registration. If you’ll be temporarily away from home during the election, you can vote by absentee ballot with your state of legal residence.
Basic Requirements and Deadlines
You are eligible to vote in U.S. federal elections if:
• You are a U.S. citizen.
• You meet your state’s residency requirements.
• You are 18 years old.
Registation deadlines vary by state.
New York Deadlines
- In-Person Request by Fri Oct 14, 2016
- Postmarked by Fri Oct 14, 2016
- Post received by Wed Oct 19, 2016
Polls are open 6:00 AM–9:00 PM. If you’re in line by 9:00 PM, you are allowed to vote.