Menu

About

Financials and Policies

Since 1971, Playwrights Horizons has been the only major theater in New York dedicated solely to developing and producing new American theater. It’s a mission that’s always timely, and essential to the future of the American theater repertory. Our steadfast commitment to this mission has guided the organization for forty-two years.

Subscription revenue, ticket sales and other sources of earned revenue cover 60% of Playwrights Horizons operating expenses, and the remaining 40% is covered by charitable donations. Contributions support commissions, play development and the production of new work, audience education programs, and institutional overhead. Donations also support our Arts Access programs which serve youth, students, and underserved audiences and our Theatrical Residency Program, which trains the next generation of arts managers and leaders.

Playwrights Horizons By The Numbers

The organization has a long history of strong fiscal management. The staff budgets carefully and conservatively. The organization keeps management and fundraising costs low, and is proud that only 18% of annual expenses support management and fundraising while 82% underwrites program costs.  Playwrights Horizons is entrepreneurial in its approach to creating and building diverse revenue streams and adept at generating and maximizing potential revenue through five principal mechanisms: subscription and single ticket sales, fundraising, Theater School tuition, Ticket Central revenue, and space rentals.

Under the governance of a 29-person Board of Trustees, Playwrights Horizons regularly reviews its operating policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the law and to create an open and inclusive workplace for its artists and employees.

Please contact Managing Director Leslie Marcus at lmarcus@phnyc.org or (212) 564-1235 x3135 with any questions you may have or to request an audit.


 

FY18 Expense Summary

2018 Expense Summary

The Playwrights Horizons fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.

FY18 Expense Detail

2018 Expense Detail

The Playwrights Horizons fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.


FY18 Income Summary

2018 Income Summary

The Playwrights Horizons fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.

FY18 Income Detail

2018 Income Detail

The Playwrights Horizons fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.

FY18 Contributed Income

2018 Contributed Income

The Playwrights Horizons fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.


Playwrights Horizons 990 Form
Playwrights Horizons 2017/2018 Report to its donors
PLAYWRights Horizons Fiscal Year 2017 Audited Financial Statements
Playwrights Horizons Privacy Policy

 

Not-for-profit arts organizations must be true to their creative impulses while appreciating the financial implications of these choices. Arts organizations that do, end up far more successful financially as well as aesthetically.

—Michael M. Kaiser, President of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, January 2012 ArtsJournal